The aim of the national contest for university students is to promote research among university students, stimulate them to be more active and to acknowledge students who have achieved outstanding results with their thesis, study, research or scientific publication.
The 2020 contest is now open!
Submission of contest papers is open until 15 September 2020!
Read the participation rules HERE!
(on the photo: the winners of the 2019 main prize Rebekka Lotman and Marek Mooste – photographer Hendrik Osula)
The contest is open for all students studying in Estonia (including foreign students studying in Estonia) and Estonian citizens studying abroad. Research papers can be submitted on all university levels: applied higher education and bachelor’s studies; master’s studies; doctoral studies and in all fields of research:
- Natural Sciences;
- Engineering and Technology;
- Medical and Health Sciences;
- Agricultural and Veterinary Sciences;
- Social Sciences;
- Humanities and the Arts.
Objectives of the contest are to:
- raise appreciation for research among the students
- stimulate the activities of students in the field of research
- acknowledge students and groups of students who have achieved outstanding results in research.
The award fund is 77 277,79 euros in total:
- national awards for students following bachelor’s or professional degree programmes: 1st prize 960 euros, 2nd prize 650 euros, 3rd prize 320 euros;
- national awards for master’s students: 1st prize 1600 euros, 2nd prize 1300 euros, 3rd prize 700 euros;
- national awards for doctoral students: 1st prize 1600 euros, 2nd prize 1300 euros, 3rd prize 700 euros;
- 3 special prizes of the President of Estonian Academy of Sciences, 5497,79 euros in total;
- up to 2 special prizes of fund for constitutional law of Estonian Academy of Sciences, 2300 euros in total;
- up to 2 special prizes of the Estonian Ministry of Foreign Affairs in the fields of international relations, foreign affairs, development cooperation, cyber security or other fields managed by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, 1500 euros in total;
- up to 6 special prizes of Estonian Ministry of Social Affairs in the fields of social affairs, labour and health, 3400 euros in total;
- up to 4 special prizes of Estonian National Heritage Board in the field of cultural heritage or fields closely connected to that, 1600 euros in total;
- a special prize of the Foundation of Marine Culture of Captain Uno Laur for the best research paper in the field of maritime affairs, 1000 euros in total
The special prizes conferred by President of the Estonian Academy of Sciences are as follows:
- students following bachelor’s or professional degree programmes: special prize for auspicious scintillating sparks – π×250=785.40 euros;
- doctoral or master’s students: 1st special prize for the most elegant student research paper – π×1000=3141.59 euros; 2nd special prize for an unconventional student research paper – π×500=1570.80 euros.
In addition, the competition awards two national main prizes (a 3600 euros) irrespective of the fields of research and levels of education.
Sirli Taniloo (on vacation until 9 August; during vacation will be answering all e-mails as soon as possible)
The contest is organized in cooperation with the Estonian Ministry of Education and Research.