(ETAg) supports research and innovation in Estonia. We maintain and develop a balanced, high-level and internationally successful research, development and innovation (RDI) system in Estonia, as well as a knowledge-based and sustainable Estonian society.
- Research funding
- Support for development and implementation of research and innovation policy
- Support for international research cooperation
- Domestic and international presentation and promotion of Estonian research
We provide research and mobility grants in order to:
- facilitate high-level research projects in all fields to strengthen international competitiveness of Estonian R&D;
- promote cooperation between the government, businesses and research institutions;
- contribute to the internationalisation of research and support the next generation of researchers.
of research and
- We represent Estonia’s positions in international networks, assemblies and cooperation projects.
- We support ministries in making knowledge-based decisions.
- We ensure availability of research information to researchers as well as to the general public.
- We manage the Estonian Research Information System (ETIS) as a hub of information on research and development institutions, researchers, research projects and activities.
- We analyse research and development practices.
- We organise evaluation of research and development activities.
- We educate and advise researchers, research institutions and ministries on the opportunities and criteria of participation in international research cooperation.
- We represent Estonia in research networks and partnership programmes.
- We support participation of researchers, research institutions, public organisations and businesses in international research initiatives.
- We advise foreign researchers working in Estonia.
promotion of Estonian
- We foster science communication and promote the spread of scientific thinking.
- We organise competitions for recognising school and university students, researchers and science promoters.
- We fund science-promoting TV programs, such as “Rakett69”.
- We present Estonian research to an international audience through the in Research in Estonia initiative.
- We coordinate and support popularisation of research and engineering.
We keep our agreements and promises. We are persistent and energetic. We make objective and impartial decisions. Our decision-making processes are comprehensible, justified and transparent, and consistent with good international practice. In case of disagreements, we listen to all parties, we are open to debate, and provide a rationale for our positions.
We are continually learning and developing as we plan our work and search for, and implement, new ideas. Our extensive knowledge and skills make us a valued cooperation partner and enable us to have a say on the development of our areas of activity.
We are committed to continuous improvement in our work and raising the quality of our services. We implement innovative ideas. We assess the effectiveness of our work and actions.
Openness and cooperation
The scientific community and cooperation partners are involved in our work and we consult with them on a regular basis. We are always open to cooperation with new partners, target and interest groups, like-minded parties and supporters. We maintain good relations, notice and value our colleagues, and work as a team. We are open to discussion and constructive criticism, and we are prepared to learn from relevant comments and proposals.
We allocate 51.2m euros per year in research grants.
We provide 1.4m euros of annual support for international research cooperation.
The science-promoting TV programs funded by us have, on average, over 96,000 viewers.
We present over 100 awards in different annual competitions.
We evaluate over 900 applications per year.
Estonian Research Information System – over 232,000 publications and over 40,000 users.