- This event has passed.
Nordic-Baltic SciComm Network workshop
19. November 2019 - 09:30 - 17:00
Welcome to the Nordic-Baltic SciComm informal Network meeting!
Our Network has several years of history with annual meetings in Göteborg in April. We’ve also had additional meetings in Denmark and Finland. This year we are happy to invite you to meet in Tallinn, Estonia.
The main purpose of our meetings is to share information on the current situation of SciComm in our countries, to exchange good practices and experiences, and to plan future cooperation. Our meeting in Tallinn will be no exception.
As you can see from the agenda below we have reserved time for both – presentations from participating countries and discussions on cooperation.
If you are willing to give a short presentation on something exciting that is happening is your country we encourage you to do it! Please write your topic in the registration form so we can reserve a time slot for you.
Also – all ideas on possible cooperation areas are very welcome!
- November 18 – Dinner. At 19:00, Restaurant Platz, Roseni Str. 7 (covered by Estonian Research Council). NB! Registered participants only.
- November 19 – Nordic workshop (Hotel Viru Conference Center, Room Bolero, 2nd floor) Viru väljak 4
- November 20 – Estonian Science Communication conference with guest speakers from Sweden and Denmark (Song Festival Grounds, Narva mnt 95, Tallinn)
NB! You are all welcome to attend, but the conference will be mostly held in Estonian.
Venue: Viru Conference Centre, Room Bolero, 2nd floor
9.30-10.00 Welcome and opening. Karin Jaanson, Executive Director, Estonian Research Council
10.00-10.30 Plenary presentation. Science communication today: understanding contemporary practices in Europe (pdf). Sarah Davis, QUEST project, Horizon 2020, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, NORWAY
10.30-12.00 Short SciComm case-presentations from participating countries.
- Estonian Strategy on Science Communication 2020-2035: Estonia Knows. “How do you know?” campaign (pdf). Karin Jaanson, Executive Director, Estonian Research Council, ESTONIA
- I want to, but there is no time – Researchers’ views on communication and open science (pdf). Anna Maria Fleetwood, Swedish Research Council; Maria Hagardt, Science and Public, SWEDEN
- Podcasts as a way for researchers and decision makers to interact (pdf). Risto Alatarvas, Finnish Prime Minister’s Office, FINLAND
- Helsinki Initiative on multilingualism in scholarly communication. What can we do? (pdf). Reetta Kettunen, Committee for Public Information in Finland, FINLAND
13.00-14.00 Science Communication cases from participating countries:
- Research in Estonia – international communication of Estonian Research (pdf). Siim Lepik, Estonian Research Council, ESTONIA
- Science through stories (pdf). Ingmārs Kreišmanis, Latvian Council of Science, LATVIA
- Short Overview on Science Communication in Lithuania (pdf). Giedrė Kojelytė, Research Council of Lithuania, LITHUANIA
- Science Communication developments in Denmark, STEM education angle (pdf). Mikkel Bohm, ASTRA, DENMARK
- Challenges of branding Science Communication: individual initiatives vs institutional branding (pdf). Anne Riiser, Research Council of Norway, NORWAY
14.00-15.40 World Cafe Discussions, topics from your suggestions
15.40-15.55 Coffe break
15:55-16.30 Conclusions from the World Cafe Discussions
16.30-17.00 Discussion on the future of the network and next steps
Solo Sokos Hotel Estoria (the venue of the meeting is at the same hotel)
Viru väljak 4 (Viru square 4), Tallinn. https://www.sokoshotels.fi/en/tallinn/sokos-hotel-estoria
Participants need to book and pay their accommodation by themselves, using the instructions given by the hotel.
Transportaion from and to the airport
Locations and venues
Monday, November 18
Network Dinner. Restaurant Platz, Roseni 7. See location of the Google Maps
Tuesday, November 19
Network Meeting. Original Sokos Hotel Viru Conference Centre. Conference room Bolero (2nd floor). Viru väljak 4. See location on the Google Maps
Wednesday, November 20
Estonian Science Communication conference with guest speakers from Sweden and Denmark (Songfestival Grounds, Narva mnt 95, Tallinn). See location on the Google Maps
Terje Tuisk, firstname.lastname@example.org tel +372 511 0356
Siim Lepik, siim. email@example.com tel +372 507 0654